We had a huge storm yesterday and our power was out all day! It was sooo much fun once it got dark.
Nana made a stew on our wood stove. (Well, the meat and potatoes and carrots were all already cooked from roast the night before, but the barley wasn't.) She put it on the stove like 2 hours before dinner and when we ate it, it was awesome.
Before we ate dinner, when it was still light, Boompa discovered that our woodpile was coming uncovered--eek! So he through a bunch of mostly dry wood into a wheelbarrow which I ran around and stacked on the front porch. Meanwhile, Nana, Isabella, and Boompa worked at re-covering the woodpile. The whole thing took us like 35 minutes.
Anyway, then we had dinner by 6 candles, 4 LED lanterns, and the fireplace. Then, I knitted on my doll, and Izy and I serenaded everybody with all the songs we knew from The Phantom of the Opera (the movie). When we exhausted our knowledge of that, we got out this huge songbook which has everything from show tunes to Hoagy Carmichael to Stevey Wonder and sung everything we knew out of that.
Then Mom came home with cookies and we all sat in the dark and talked for like an hour. It was definitely more fun than watching CSI.
5 comments:
Wow - sounds like you had a lot of fun with your outage! We had like ten 20 second power outages. Nothing major in that respect. However, you know the fence in our back yard? Yah, it's pretty much gone. Most of the back blew over, and a lot of boards blew off the sides. However, I'm thinking that it would've been more fun being at your place rather than napping on the couch and watching a movie with my mom (don't get me wrong, the movie was really good, but it sounded like you had a TON of fun)
omygosh!! your fence is gone?!? yucky! yeah, I wish that sometime you could be here when our power went out. that might be kinda fun. :-)
Yah - the fence is pretty much all gone. It SUCKS! My dad put up a temp fence with some kind of black chicen wire sort of thing.
Yah - I think we would've had a blast if I was up there during the power outage. Especially during the phantom of the opera tunes! ha ha
Lol! Part of my fence blew down too! We had a power outage from 1pm to early next morning. Then nice thing about that, was that we went out to eat at Mongolian BBQ. Tasty! Earlier in the day we used our wood stove to heat up soup and water for hot chocolate, and read books with our booklights. Do you remember how dark my house gets, Lina? It's like a cave even w/ lights, but without any lights...... It's REALLY dark. Pitch-black actually.
lol, Suzanne, I think you would have liked the Phantom, but you probably would have been jealous: Isabella sang all of the Phantom's parts!!
ooh, Analie, I'm sorry you lost your fence, too! lol, your house can get dark, I'm glad your power is back!
Post a Comment