Sunday, August 12, 2012

If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn't be called research.

The title of this post is a quote from Albert Einstein. And also what it says on the t-shirts my research partners, our advisor, and I are wearing. This picture was taken the last day of the REU at Tyler State Park. Leaving this REU, knowing that we would never all live together again, and might not even all be together again, was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. And that's just a preview of how I'm going to feel when I finish undergrad in May.
I learned a lot from the REU, and all the people there. One of the best things about the REU was that when I got there, no one knew me. I could be whomever I wanted to be. I didn't really realized that I'd changed, though, till I got home. Mostly, it's that I play games now! Be it HeroClix, Settlers of Catan, Speed, or even Kings, I've learned a lot of new games this summer. But mostly I learned to try new things. To watch sports, to jump off of cliffs, to paddle canoes, to write a mathematical paper using LaTex, and to say "Damn Yankees!" every time somebody talks baseball. I want to carry that willingness to try new things into my last year of undergrad. Who knows what awesome things I might be able to do?

No comments: